Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Some say that a book is just a book....

I say it is a place you run to when nothing else seems to be going right, A place that you can get lost in and forget about everything. A place where you can get completely consumed in some other world that otherwise you would never get to experience. You get to be right in the moment when two people realize they are perfect for each other or wrapped up in the emotions when tragedy strikes. You get to laugh along with the characters and get front row seats to their lives.
I absolutely love when a book has caught my full attention and I know I can't put it down until it's finished. This past weekend I completed 3 books in 3 days. I know crazy but I couldn't stop until I knew that all were safe and living happily ever after...as books usually end. :)

Indiana Cousins Series by Wanda Brunstetter follows the live of 4 Amish cousins who face tragedy in the form of a car accident while traveling to Hersey Park. 3 lives lost and the rest changed forever.


A Cousin's Promise introduces the tragedy through the eyes of Lorraine. Her struggles only begins with the accident and death of her cousin and friends and continues through her fiance's lost of his left leg and his insecurities and depression to provide for her. Through many ups and downs and unbearable moments Wayne comes to trust the LORD again and sees that he can do all things through Christ.




A Cousin's Prayer follows Katie who has been struggling with paralyzing panic attacks since the accident. As life continues to speed past her, Katie is crippled by her fears and doubts. Only through the kindness and gentle spirit of her new friend Freeman can she learn to trust God and overcome her panic attacks. As she gains control of her life again, she comes through and finds herself getting the happy ending she always hoped for; a fiance and best friend....Freeman.



A Cousin's Challenge follows the final two cousins Jolene and Ella. Both cousins suffered lost the day of the accident; Jolene in the form of her hearing and Ella lost her brother Raymond. Both women struggle how to make life work again and stay strong for their families.
Jolene is faced with learning to communicate all over again and the truth she may never teach again. She is determined to not wallow in self pity and when she is asked to teach 2 deaf children that moved into the community she is thrilled. Little does she know the whole community is interested in learning to sign, especially Lonnie who just recently lost his hearing in an explosion. Not only does Jolene get to teach again but she gets the chance to love. Lonnie and Jolene face many struggles ahead as they will now have to raise a family while both being deaf.

Ella has the weight of the world on her shoulders and has yet to really feel the pain of losing  someone close. She is determined to make ends meet and support her family without the help from the community, especially Jake Beechy who knows exactly what to say to get under Ella's skin. As the book progresses you watch Ella struggle through each day refusing help and Jake insisting she allow him to give her a hand. To both their surprise love begins to well up in both and a change of heart is on the horizon.

I hope I didn't ruin the books for anyone interested in reading them. I have come to realize with the help of my very intelligent sister that the relationships established through these books and Amish tradition is what draws me in and gives me hope. The men are gentle and kind and considerate. They rely on God and lead their families in a Christ-like manner. Now I am not looking for an Amish man but I am waiting for a man of God. All good things come to those who wait. :)

Just another day in the life of a reader....


No comments: